THIS NOTICE DESCRIBES HOW MEDICAL INFORMATION ABOUT YOU MAY BE USED AND DISCLOSED AND HOW YOU CAN GET ACCESS TO THIS INFORMATION. PLEASE REVIEW IT CAREFULLY.
I. Dental Practice Covered by this Notice
This Notice describes the privacy practices of CAPESIDE ORAL& FACIAL SURGERY (“Dental Practice”). “We” and “our” means the Dental Practice. “You” and “your” means our patient.
II. How to Contact Us/Our Privacy Official
If you have any questions or would like further information about this Notice, you can contact our Privacy Official at:
362 Gifford St
Falmouth, MA 02540
Hyannis Office Phone Number 508-645-6576
III. Our Promise to You and Our Legal Obligations
The privacy of your health information is important to us. We understand that your health information is personal and we are committed to protecting it. This Notice describes how we may use and disclose your protected health information to carry out treatment, payment or health care operations and for other purposes that are permitted or required by law. It also describes your rights to access and control your protected health information. Protected health information is information about you, including demographic information, that may identify you and that relates to your past, present or future physical or mental health or condition and related health care services.
We are required by law to:
• Maintain the privacy of your protected health information;
• Give you this Notice of our legal duties and privacy practices with respect to that information; and
• Abide by the terms of our Notice of Privacy Practices that are currently in effect.
IV. Last Revision Date This Notice was last revised on November 06, 2017.
V. How We May Use or Disclose Your Health Information
We are permitted by law to use and disclose your health information for the following purposes:
A. Common Uses and Disclosures
1. Treatment We may use your health information to provide you with dental treatment or services, such as examining your teeth or performing dental procedures. We may disclose health information about you to dental specialists, physicians, or other health care professionals involved in your care.
2. Payment. We may use and disclose your health information to obtain payment from health plans and insurers for the care that we provide to you.
3. Health Care Operations We may use and disclose health information about you in connection with health care operations necessary to run our practice, including review of our treatment and services, training, evaluating the performance of our staff and health care professionals, quality assurance, financial or billing audits, legal matters, and business planning and development.
4. Contacting You We may use and disclose your health information to contact you about appointments and other matters. We may contact you by using an open faced postcard, letter, phone call, voice message, text or email.
5. Disclosure to Family Members and Friends We may disclose your health information to a family member or friend who is involved with your care or payment for your care if you do not object or, if you are not present, we believe it is in your best interest to do so.
6. Lawsuits and Legal Actions We may disclose patient health information in response to (i) a court or administrative order or (ii) a subpoena, discovery request, or other lawful process that is not ordered by a court if efforts have been made to notify the patient or to obtain an order protecting the information requested.
7. Workers’ Compensation We may disclose your health information to comply with workers’ compensation laws or similar programs that provide benefits for work-related injuries or illness.
8. Right to Access and Review You may request to access and review a copy of your health information. We may deny your request under certain circumstances. You will receive written notice of a denial and can appeal it. We will provide a copy of your health information in a format you request if it is readily producible. If not readily producible, we will provide it in a hard copy format or other format that is mutually agreeable. If your health information is included in an Electronic Health Record, you have the right to obtain a copy of it in an electronic format and to direct us to send it to the person or entity you designate in an electronic format. We may charge a reasonable fee to cover our cost to provide you with copies of your health information.
B. Right to Restrict Use and Disclosure
You may request that we restrict uses of your health information to carry out treatment, payment, or health care operations or to your family member or friend involved in your care or the payment for your care. We may not (and are not required to) agree to your requested restrictions, with one exception: If you pay out of your pocket in full for a service you receive from us and you request that we not submit the claim for this service to your health insurer or health plan for reimbursement, we must honor that request.
F. Right to a Paper Copy of this Notice
You have the right to a paper copy of this Notice. You may ask us to give you a paper copy of the Notice at any time (even if you have agreed to receive the Notice electronically). To obtain a paper copy, ask the Privacy Official.
IX. Our Right to Change Our Privacy Practices and This Notice
We reserve the right to change the terms of this Notice at any time. Any change will apply to the health information we have about you or create or receive in the future. We will promptly revise the Notice when there is a material change to the uses or disclosures, individual’s rights, our legal duties, or other privacy practices discussed in this Notice. We will post the revised Notice on our website and will provide a copy of it to you on request. The effective date of this Notice is November 06, 2017.